Gloria Petyarre was born in 1942 in Atnangker north of Alice Spring, Northern Territory.
Like her sisters Ada Bird and Kathleen Petyarre she began her art work by making batik and later in 1984 switched to painting with acrylics on canvas.
Gloria Petyarre is versatile in style and paints a number of dreamings such as Bush Medicine, Mountain Devil Lizard, Bean and Grass Seeds.
In 1990 she travelled to Ireland, England and India to attend the Utopia Art exhibition.
In 1995-6 Gloria Petyarre received a Full Fellowship Grant from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Board of the Australian Council and in 1999 won Australia’s prestigious art award “Wynne Painting Prize" of the Art Gallery of New South Wales. She was the first Aboriginal Artist to win a major art prize at Art Gallery of New South Wales.
· Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney
· Australian National Gallery, Canberra
· Australian Parliament House, Canberra
· Federal Court Collection, Perth
· Wadsworth Athenaeum, Hartford, USA
· Singapore Art Museum, Singapore
· Fine Art Museum of San Francisco, USA
· British Museum, London
· Gallery Rai, Tokyo, Japan
· Manawatu Gallery, New Zealand
· Kust der Gegenwart, Vienna, Austria
· Many more .......
A lot of collectors of Australian Aboriginal Arts around the world invest on Gloria Petyarre's artworks.
You are welcome to visit the art gallery to view Gloria Petyarre and other aboriginal artists on Linen/Canvas, Coolamon, Didgeridoo, Boomerang and Pottery at: KARLANGU ABORIGINAL ART CENTRE 47 York Street, Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia